Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Quilt Top

Early in the spring I started working on a quilt for Peanut.  I found this lovely fabric line called "Windermere," which had the kind of soft florals I love.  Putting the blocks together was a lot of fun.  Then, when I had to lay the entire quilt out so I could sew the blocks together, I ran into trouble.  Twin trouble.  I did not have a block of time big enough to sew the whole thing together in one sitting, and though I tried to keep the twins out of my room while the quilt was laid out on the floor, it was an exercise in futility.  It was so frustrating to have the blocks tornadoed all over the room when it took me so long to lay them all out.  At that point I just put the quilt away for awhile.  

Finally, I felt like trying again.  


And I got the top sewn together!


Just in time for more mischief and mayhem!





I wish I had noticed the way certain of the fabrics look from a distance.  Some of the prints have so many tiny bright red flowers that even though the background is green or yellow or blue it ends up looking purple or grey or something, and then overall the effect of the quilt is not what I had hoped.  I also wished I had matched background colors on the little side strips, instead of doing them totally random (though that was what the pattern said to do.)  Lessons learned for next time I make this pattern, and I definitely will make this pattern again!

Despite flaws and lessons learned, Peanut loves the quilt.   She can't wait for me to get the backing on and get it quilted and bound.   I can't wait either!

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

What a wonderful treasure that quilt is becoming!