Sunday, June 25, 2017

Bird Friend

There was a fledgling robin that got slightly injured in our backyard.  Our kids adopted it and have been helping to take care of it.  Its mother hovers near and she has been feeding it, but it doesn't seem to mind the kids making it a bed in part of the doll house and giving it flying lessons.  At first I thought "oh boy, this is going to be a tragedy one way or another," but this has been going on for several days now and the bird seems to be doing really well.

They keep changing his name... every time I talk to one of the kids they're calling it something different.  Tiger, Meep, Prince Mario, whatever his name is, he sure is bringing my kids a lot of joy.



2 comments:

Diane said...

My kids found a baby sparrow. We bought meal worms (ew) and it lived with us inside our house for 6 full weeks before it flew away for good. At first, we had to feed it once an hour and it often took 45 minutes throughout the daylight. I too thought it would turn out bad, but it was really fun to have a wild bird adopt us as family. My daughter who cared for it the most was pretty sad when it flew away for good. I think they say you have to send them to rescue places because baby birds are really like newborns (except they sleep through the night). But it's not a problem for home schoolers.

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

We had a pair of baby robins for a while. How exciting for your kids to have a robin friend! Makes me wish we had ours back again. :)