Tuesday, April 4, 2017

St. Patrick's Day Run

I haven't written about my running in awhile, so here's an update.

I ran a St. Patrick's Day 5K race in March.  It was really hard for me.  Running's been really hard since I picked it back up again in January.  I mean, running has always been hard for me and I've always been slow by most people's standards, but last year I made consistent progress all year, slowly getting faster and stronger.  In November I ran that race and I was on top of the world afterwards-- I ran the entire thing without walking and my time was under 40 minutes.  Now there were new heights to scale.  I was just going to get better, right?

Well, I haven't.  All January, all February, on into March, I plugged away at running, but I couldn't even match where I'd been last fall, let alone improve.  It was so frustrating.  I was slow and getting slower.  13 minute mile... 13:30... 13:45... 14:00... And I was running 1.5 or only 1 mile at a time instead of 3.  I kept working toward the St. Pat's race though.  I'd done it before, I had to be able to do it again, right?

I went to my doctor and we ran a ton of bloodwork. I even pushed for extra tests on my thyroid.  Everything came back normal.  Whatever it is that is making running so difficult for me right now, it's not anemia or vitamin D deficiency or thyroid imbalance or Hashimoto's disease.  So I kept running.

I decided my goal was just to run the whole thing.  Never mind times.  I was secretly hoping, though, that I would be pleased with my time.

Not so much.  Maybe I can blame it on the weather, which suddenly went all North Dakota on us just before the race.  Maybe I can blame it on the fact that I don't usually run in the morning.  But it took me 42 minutes to run that 5K.  I could almost walk it faster than that.

I didn't walk, though.  I ran the entire way.  And that's something to be proud of and to hang onto.  I keep asking myself why I keep doing this.  Why running?  I don't know.  There has always just been this little voice deep down inside me, even when I was at my heaviest and most sluggish, that has been urging me to run.  So I keep running.

Here are my "before" and "after" selfies.



No comments: