Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Specs

I got glasses in fourth grade.  I still remember vividly walking outside of the eye doctor's office, looking up at a tree, and seeing the individual leaves.  Amazing.  I hadn't even been aware that my vision was blurry until I had what I needed to see clearly.

I've checked up on my kids' eyes over the years, expecting that several of them would need glasses, since I did as a youth.  No one ever did until this last round of eye exams, when Roo turned up slightly myopic.  The doctor said she didn't need them bad and we could wait if we wanted.  She said she thought she didn't need them.

A few weeks went by, and she came to me and said, "I think I would like to have glasses."  So we ordered some.

Today I took her to pick them up.  We walked outside and she looked at the trees and said "wow..."  The whole way home she was in a state of amazement as she saw how clear the world had become.


"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
 --Marcel Proust

No comments: