Tuesday, April 4, 2017

General Conference

We watched the semi-annual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints this last weekend.  Oh, it was so good.  Such an outpouring of the Spirit and so much wisdom imparted.  I can't wait to go back and study the talks... there was so much there I needed to hear.

I have friends that do the coolest things with their families during Conference weekend: special treats, games, prizes, wall displays, collaborative note-taking... I admire all that.  I've tried to do some of that in the past, but this time it felt overwhelming.  I didn't even print activity packets off the Sugardoodle website.  Saturday we were spread out all over the house listening on various devices while working on projects (I was sewing) and it felt really chaotic.  Sunday I tried to pull everyone together and at least watch the morning session as a family, so I tried to do what I could to make it memorable and enjoyable for the kiddos.

Here's a little bit of what it looked like.  We picked the living room to gather in because of the fireplace, though it meant we were watching on the little laptop.  The sound was good though.  Lots of well-buttered popcorn.  Lots and lots and lots of it.  That kept the twins busy for awhile.  Also some cinnamon rolls.  A tent, some beanbag chairs, blankets and pillows, and some of us trying to take notes.  It's hard to take notes with two year old twins, but I tried.  Taking notes really helps me focus.  I look forward to doing that more as my children get older.






This is pretty different than watching Conference when I was a kid.  We had to go watch it at the church in the chapel because the church had a satellite dish.  We had to dress up in our Sunday clothes and sit quietly.  Maybe a pencil and paper to draw with, but no piles of activity books and no snacks until I got old enough to smuggle in a bag of Jelly Bellies.  I remember the first time I watched it at home, as a teenager.  I was elated that I could sit on my couch in my pajamas with a blanket and watch Conference!  Kids these days don't know how good they have it, right?  

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

We don't do anything exciting for general conference--just a tradition of having cinnamon rolls on Sunday, and we all gather for all of the sessions.

Trying some collaborative note-taking sounds fun, but we've never done it. :)