Sunday, March 26, 2017

Sunday Afternoon Storm

I was taking a much-needed Sunday afternoon nap when I was awakened by a huge clap of thunder-- the kind that shakes the whole house.  The room was dim and full of the sound of rain pattering on the roof. 

The energy of these spring storms just thrills me. 

And how we need the rain!  Everything has been so dry.  I have not been able to work the soil much at all this spring because it was hard and dry.  My spring bulbs did not perform well. 

Things are going to green up and revive quickly now that the rains have started.  The forecast is looking great. 

Spring break is nearly over.  Of course, I did not get everything done.  But we did a lot.  Maybe, maybe I am ready to go back into the fray tomorrow.   Maybe, maybe I am pretty sick of this school year and just want it to be over already.  I will try to muster a positive attitude and continue moving forward with strength.  The end is in sight.  So many good things have happened this school year, both at Plumfield and here at home.  So many good things will happen in the next ten or so weeks if I will just carry on. 

The bathrooms have been deep cleaned this week, which they sorely needed.  I am really bad at keeping the bathrooms clean.  They probably won't have more than "essential surfaces quickly wiped down" before summer break.  Just keeping it real.  I don't know why I am so lousy at keeping up with the bathrooms at this stage of my life.  I have never really minded cleaning bathrooms, so it's not that I avoid it out of detestation.  I just... would rather do other things, I guess. 

I only got half the kids' clothes switched out.  With eight kids, that's a huge project twice a year.  Remember, I have tubs and tubs of off-size/off-season clothes in my garage.   I am trying to pare it down a bit.  I have a huge pile of clothes to bring to the upcoming Relief Society clothing exchange. 

I also went through my own closet and purged a bunch of stuff.   I am to a point in my life where I can acquire and keep clothes I really love and get rid of the rest. So I am slowly doing that.   It feels great.

Five cute little skirts have been cut out for five cute little girls and one has been mostly sewn together.  Four more to sew.  Because each one has 20 panels it takes a lot of time.  I have three more weeks until my Easter deadline.  I ought to be able to finish, right?

Thursday we went on a family outing.   We had heard about a hiking trail in southeast Kansas that was descibed as "rugged."  Knowing that Kansas is not typically rugged, we had to go check it out.  So we drove to Elk City Lake and started up the 15 mile hiking trail that goes along the north shore of the lake.  It did not disappoint.  It was rugged.  It did not look a bit like "Kansas."  We loved it.  We only made it a mile down the trail because of the twins, but we can't wait to go back. 

The wild redbud trees are in full bloom right now.  There were many of them along the trail.  What a treat to see. 

In the vicinity was the site of the book "Little House on the Prairie," so we were able to stop there too.  I took the kids there in 2008, so Bean and Fish remembered it, but for most of the family it was a new experience.   There's not a whole lot there, but if you're a fan of the books it's neat to see.  Peanut is a huge fan of the books.  I have been reading them aloud to her and she LOVES them.  That makes me so happy.   The older kids have loved them for years, but watching Peanut get so into them recently has been delightful. 

I didn't get many pictures because Leaf was running around being challenging (Twig was asleep in the car with Bean) and it was suuuuper windy.  The twins are a handful lately when we go places.  It's hard to manage them and I can't do it by myself.  They are good car travelers though, so I am grateful for that. 

The rain has stopped now and the sun is shining.  Later tonight there will be more storms.   I am looking forward to them. 

No comments: