Sunday, February 26, 2017

Sunday Evening

The twins are finally asleep, and I get to type with both hands!  I should go to bed too, but this is too good of an opportunity to pass up.  I'm just going to blab on and on about stuff.

Bean is reading The Other Side of Heaven by John H. Groberg.  I've been trying to get him to read it for awhile now and it finally took.  He's loving it.  As I knew he would if I could just get him started.  It's hard to get teenagers to do stuff like read a book you want them to read.  I remember when I was about Bean's age my dad gave me a copy of Dale Carnegie's classic How to Win Friends and Influence People.  Goodness knows I needed it.  But I didn't read it.  Because I was a teenager and he was Dad.  That was stupid of me.  I wish I had.  Sorry, Dad.

Bean is DRIVING now.  He has a learner's permit.  I've only driven with him once so far and I found myself completely freaking out, to my surprise.  "AAAAH!!!! My KID is DRIVING THIS CAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!"  Bean thought it was funny.  I'm grateful the Badger has been driving with him and teaching him.  I don't think that I'm going to be a very good driving teacher.  I'll potty train 'em, you teach 'em to drive, okay Honey?

They're going to grow up and move away!  Even those cute cuddly little twins that want to cling to me 24 hours a day.  Isn't that awful?

I remember when I was about Roo's age my mom used to put one hand on top of my head and then tap on it with her fist, like she was hammering me down.  "Stop growing!" she'd say.  Well, it didn't work.  I'm 37 and I have eight children.  Sorry, Mom.  I don't think it's going to work with Roo either.  Roo hasn't changed much over the last couple of years and she is still small for her age.  So it seems like this will last forever.  But she is on the verge of big changes.  Sigh.

I'm getting ready to make some improvements to my living room.  I've been waiting for this for a long time.  It means a lot to me and I'm really excited about it.  First up will be window treatments.  New lamps are also in order, and I have been looking everywhere for the perfect rug.  I still haven't found it yet, but I will.  There will be some other decorative items as well.  I can't wait!

I have to say, I'm not really crazy about most of the current home decor trends.  This whole mid-century thing?  Not my thing.  I have to look hard to find stuff I like.  I love the looking though.

The Rabbit is upset because Peanut went to a birthday party last week and Roo has been invited to one this week.  The Rabbit, despite the fact that she is friendliest person in our family, has not been invited to a birthday party outside our family in three years. She has lots of friends, but for some reason there just haven't been any birthday party invites for awhile.  I deliberately try to teach my children not to be jealous, but it takes time and maturity before those lessons fully sink in, especially for some kids.

The weather has been colder this weekend.  I don't mind a bit.  In my mind, February should be cold.
And I should go to bed.  Goodnight!

No comments: