Monday, January 16, 2017

Puzzles and Pizza

Looking back through my recent photos, I just realized I never shared New Year's Eve on here.

We were all so sick over Christmas break, and when New Year's came, we were still recovering.  So we knew we were just going to keep things low key at home with our family.  The Badger never likes to stay up late, even on New Year's Eve, so wild parties don't happen.  But I like New Year's.  I like to stay up, and I like to make the evening fun and special.

Pizza is a pretty standard party food around here, but this time I took it to a new level.  I had heard about a local place that makes a huge 30 inch pizza.  I determined to get one, but I didn't tell anyone what I was doing, just that I was getting something different.  It was fun to see their faces when I showed up with this enormous box.


That pizza was so big that even our huge, pizza-crazy family couldn't eat it all.  We had enough leftovers for all of us to have lunch the next day.


After that we watched movies and put together a puzzle.  I got out one we haven't done in years: my map of London puzzle that I bought in London when I was there on study abroad in college.  It's a pretty tricky puzzle, but it's fun to remember London and all the wonderful places there.  I'm getting old though-- it was hard for me to read all the itty bitty writing.


There were various movies going on, but the one I watched was the new Pete's Dragon.  Bean really wanted to see it.  I didn't want to-- I often end up disappointed by movie remakes.  But it was playing in the room where I was puzzling, so I ended up watching it.  To my surprise, it was absolutely delightful and I loved it.

And that's how we welcomed in 2017.  It blows my mind that it's 2017.  I hear dates like 2012 and 2009 and even 2003 and I think "that just barely happened" and then I realize it was years ago... I guess that's a pretty universal feeling for people who have lived on this earth awhile, but it still feels fresh and bewildering to me.

No comments: