Saturday, January 14, 2017

My Friend Spotify

I am in love with Spotify.

I am not exactly up on the cutting edge of tech, so I didn't know about Spotify until recently, when a friend mentioned it on Facebook.  He said he loved it for finding obscure classical music pieces.

THAT piqued my interest!

I downloaded the free version to my PC and started out by looking up old choral works: songs I'd sung in choirs years ago that have stayed in my brain and my heart but which I had no recording of.  AND THERE THEY WERE.  "Hail, Gladdening Light"!  Healy Willan's "Three Kings"!  Just a few clicks of the keyboard, and there was more John Rutter music than I could listen to in the next decade.  A few more clicks and there were dozens of Bach albums.  An avalanche of Handel, a tsunami of Tchaikovsky, a mountain of Mozart.

It was exciting and overwhelming as I came to grasp the magnitude of this music collection.  If the classical collection was this thorough, other music genres were going to be as well.

That concerned me a little bit, if my children were to start messing around with it.  I told the kids to stay off of it.  That didn't last long, of course.  But so far, it's been fine.  If it ever becomes a problem I can find some way to block their access to it, but my kids at this point have no interest in listening to stuff with explicit lyrics or whatever else I was afraid of them finding on there.

Fish discovered movie soundtracks.  Bean got on too.  Now they each have their own playlist and they love it.  I love it that Bean listens to Bach to perk up his brain when he has to do homework late in the evening.

I loved it at Christmas time... endless new Christmas albums to explore.  

Now I am making Sunday playlists and mood playlists.  Every time I get on Spotify I have so much fun.  And I am just scratching the surface.

I may upgrade to a paid subscription at some point, because the ads are kind of annoying.  But the free version is pretty great, and I am still just awestruck at the incredible amount of music I now have access to.

Isn't this an amazing time to be alive?

1 comment:

Bethany C. said...

My husband gifted me with a paid subscription for Christmas! TOTALLY worth it. Now I can put on lullabies without having to frantically turn it down whenever a commercial comes on!
Feel free to follow me! "thelittlepeople13". I've found some great music I'd love share with you.