Friday, December 9, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

I have a dear cousin whose husband is stationed at a military base a couple hours' drive from here.  We made plans to spend Thanksgiving together.  It was really lovely because Thanksgiving just seems so much more fun to me when you share it with extended family... when someone Arrives to spend it with you.  And when you have so many people in your house that you have to eat at multiple tables, including the iconic kids' table...



A new goal of mine: maybe, just maybe I am getting to the point in my life where I can begin to acquire some nice dishes, drinking glasses, and servingware.  I would love to be able to make a really lovely holiday table.  The tablecloth and napkins are a good start, and at least this year our plastic cups were clear.


We served the dinner buffet-style from the kitchen counter.  What a feast!  I love Thanksgiving food so much.  And my cousin made my Grandma's stuffing recipe, which made me sooooo happy.  (And it was delicious.  Water chesnuts!  Brilliant!)   The Badger made the turkey, potatoes, and gravy, as always, which left me to only have to do the rolls, yams, and creamed corn.  Roo did the green bean bake.  So no one person had to stress too much about cooking, which is definitely the way to go.


My plate.... oh, heaven!


And then, pie!  Pie is the best part of Thanksgiving.  I made pumpkin and apple and my cousin brought pecan, chocolate cream, and German chocolate pecan.  Hers were much better than mine.  Just another reason I was glad they were there.


A different tradition our cousins shared with us was having a talent show on Thanksgiving evening.  Such a fun idea!  We had some songs, some poetry recitations, and then this silly skit performed by my cousin and her husband (alas, it's not a very good picture, but it gives you an idea!)


Maybe the best thing was to see the little kids having so much fun playing together.



Yay for cousins!  Yay for Thanksgiving!

No comments: