Sunday, December 4, 2016

Goodnight, Garden

Our garden has been put to bed for the year.  It was late November before we had a frost, so I guess you could say that it was up past its bedtime.   That was nice, in a way, but yet it's always kind of a relief when it's finally done for the year.

This year's garden season had some triumphs, many challenges.  There were many things that did not get done.  However, when I would feel bad about that, I would just remind myself of how far we had come.  Yes, we still have a large patch of overgrown grass in the garden bed.  But last summer the entire garden bed was a mess of overgrown grass.  The planting beds on the garage side of my house were a disastrous overgrown tangle by the end of the summer, but I did manage to reclaim and maintain the front beds all summer.  I even got lots of compliments on my pretty flowers.  We didn't pick and eat enough of the things we grew-- tomatoes went rotten on the vine, and I never even used my basil at all, let alone made batches of pesto.  But we did eat many things that we grew ourselves.  The kids didn't do a great job maintaining their beds, but they had fun with their gardens and will have fond memories of them.  So much good happened out there.  I guess it's kind of like life.  We can't do it all and there will always be messes that we can't seem to get a handle on, but we just need to do the best we can, be glad for the good things we accomplish, and let the rest go.








No comments: