Monday, December 26, 2016

A Year of Running

I just returned from a late-afternoon run.

I haven't been doing a very good job with exercise during this holiday season, so it was my first run in some weeks.  My body complained a lot, but I was surprised and pleased at how well I did.  I remember where I was a year ago... how I could only run a short stretch and how I felt like I was running uphill through peanut butter.  Today felt a bit like peanut butter, since I have spent some weeks being lazy and eating junk food.  But I still managed to run over a mile.

I ran a 5K in early November.  It was my first paid race, and it was a great experience.  My goal was to run the whole thing: no walk breaks.  I trained consistently for it, running about 3 days a week (training was easy during football season because I could run while Bean was at practice.)  I was ready, and it went well.  My time was just under 40 minutes, which thrilled me.  It was a huge achievement for me, and I found that I want to keep going and run more races.

Today was a beautiful evening for a run.  I love these mild winter days here in Kansas, where the air is crisp but not bitter.  I love the golden late-evening light, and the bare branches of the trees against the sky.  My favorite sillhouettes are the sycamores, birch, and oaks.  I love the way the earth seems quiet and still, resting.  I love the time I have to think, ponder, or pray as I jog along.  That alone is worth the effort for this busy mom.

Running will continue to be a part of my life.  I look forward to seeing what progress and milestones I might achieve during this next year.

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

I'm in a running slump right now, and I miss it so much! Thanks for inspiring me to get going again. :)