Sunday, December 4, 2016

A New Phone

Last week my smart phone died.  I was very sad because I had had it for over three years and it had become so familiar that it was almost like an extension of my  brain.  I really loved that little glowing box of fun.  At this point it was a dinosaur, but it still did everything I needed it to do and way more.  It had such a tendency to monopolize my time  that I was uncomfortable with the idea of a new even more advanced phone that might tempt me to waste even more time staring at a screen. 

Do you remember when President Hinckley used to quote "There, there, little luxury, don't you cry.  You'll be a necessity by and by"?  I couldn't help but think of that as I thought about my phone.   The way this technology has advanced over the last few years and the way we have come to depend on it so much is extremely fascinating. 

I really did not want to get a new phone, but the charge port on my phone was shot, so I couldn't get it to charge.  Too many kids messing with my charge cords for too long.  It was dead, alas.  I am amazed it lasted as long as it did.

I loved that phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and I wanted something as close to it as I could get.  I went to the phone store to see what they had.  I came out with something far more fancy than my old S3 thanks to a really good sale and an even better salesman.

For the first couple of days I was a little bit afraid of it.  The thing practically reads my mind, it's so advanced.  Also, it felt like a new pair of shoes that were not broken in yet: shiny, stiff, and a little bit pinchy.

It's already getting broken in.  I am feeling more and more comfortable with it every day. 

I continue to be completely in awe of what it can do.  I was sold on it because it is water resistant and has wireless charging.  Not only is it able to survive being thrown into the toilet by my twins, but if they keep up their habit of snacking on charge cords it won't matter because I don't need one anymore.   In other words, it stands a fighting chance of surviving my twin toddlers.  And since I need all the help I can get I am pretty excited to have it along for the ride. 

The night after I got it I was up in the night with the twins as usual.  I was thinking about the shiny new fanciness of this device and looking at my babies... it just hit me how infinitely more precious each of my children is than this fancy, shiny smart phone.  They are even smarter, for one thing, with bodies and brains even more complex and intricate (and cute!) than any smart phone will ever be, but also they are precious spirit children of God Almighty and each one is a gift beyond price.  I know that is pretty obvious and I knew it already but it just hit me again really hard at that moment.  It was a good reminder to make sure that they know that, that they know that they mean more to me than this device I spend so much time staring at.  It is hard trying to raise children in the 21st century with all this technology competing for the attention of both parents and children.  Time will tell how all this tech ends up affecting all of us in the end, but I am determined to use my amazing new phone for good and for the blessing of my family, and to not let it become more important to me than what truly is most important in life.  

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

Good thoughts.

Important thoughts.

(And it is so cool that your phone has wireless charging!)