Tuesday, August 30, 2016

School this Fall

We are gearing up for an incredibly busy school year.

Bean and Fish will be attending a small private school.  I can't tell you how excited I am about this.  I found out about this school shortly after we moved here, and I was drawn to it like a magnet.  But last year it just didn't work out.  I was very disappointed.  This year, however, things are falling into place.  It will be a sacrifice for our family, even with the generous financial aid we are receiving.  But it is worth it because it is JUST what we need.  It's what Bean and Fish need, and it's what their exhausted, spread-too-thin homeschooling mom needs.

I am homeschooling Roo (grade 5), the Rabbit (grade 3),  Peanut (Kindergarten), and Frog (preschool.)  Our year got underway last week and so far it's going great.  Roo and Rabbit do a great job working independently for a majority of their assignments, and that frees me up to work with the little ones, who got completely neglected last year.  Peanut and Frog need a lot of one-on-one attention.  It feels funny for me to go from teaching advanced grammar and composition to teaching letter recognition and fine motor skills.  Somehow you think the younger kids are just going to pick it up by osmosis, but mine don't, and they need my help.

In addition, Frog is involved in a co-op preschool with some other little kiddos from church.  This means that I get to take a turn teaching every few weeks.  I did this with Bean so many years ago, and I wanted to do it with the other kids but I just couldn't because I was too busy with homeschool.  Even now it wouldn't be possible if Bean and Fish were still homeschooling; I would be spread too thin.  I am excited about this little co-op and what it will provide for Frog.

The minor challenge this year will be managing schedules and all the drop-offs and pickups that need to occur.  Roo and Rabbit have already shown that they can keep their school work moving along while I'm running shuttle service, so I have hopes that we can keep things running smoothly.

The MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR challenge this year will be the twins.  Teaching goes great as long as they are happily playing in the living room with their toys.  That doesn't happen very often.  More often they are acting as a massive force of disruption and destruction.  We have to be flexible and constantly on our toes.  So far it hasn't been too bad since Bean and Fish haven't started their school yet, so they have helped out a lot.  The tradeoff to having the burden of my older boys' education lifted from my shoulders is that I also have the benefit of their help lifted as well.

It will be a wonderful year, as long as I can figure out how to manage the twins.  If I can't, I think I am going to take a page from this guy's book.


If you see me, be sure to say "hi."

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I laughed when I read your comment about the twins... the struggle is real. Four seems to be the magic number when they turn into normal children and not terror twins.