Monday, August 8, 2016

Me and My Brother


I mentioned that my brother and his family visited last week.  Here is a picture of the two of us.  There are eighteen years between us.  He is very accomplished in his professional field.  I am still in awe of him, and yet he wanted to come spend a couple of days with obscure little me and my brood.  Gawsh.

When he was freshly home from his mission, he lived at home for a time.  I was three or four years old.  He used to come in and sing to me at night when I was going to bed.  He has a beautiful tenor voice and I particularly remember him singing "Abide With Me, 'Tis Eventide."  I have always remembered his voice singing "O Savior, stay this night with me, behold, 'tis eventide."

Well, on this visit, he asked if he could sing to my kids at bedtime.  Um, YES!  But only if I can be there and you can sing to ME too!  I am not too old to be sung to at night.  I never will be.

It was a very tender experience to listen to his voice in the dark singing all those familiar bedtime songs, feeling like I was three years old again.  Closing my eyes, I could imagine I was lying on the bottom bunk with my orange blanket in the room with the airplane wallpaper.  Oh, wow.

Thank you, Uncle Owl.  I will never forget that.  I hope my kids will remember it, too.  Thanks for coming to visit us.  Thanks for playing with the twins, reading the Mr. and Mrs. Green books to Peanut and Frog, and going on a long run/mostly walk with me.  Thanks for blazing the trail for me all these years and always being someone I can look up to.

2 comments:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

I love this! It gives me so much hope for my oldest and youngest (who are 15 years apart). I know she loves the little man, and I can see that he loves her, but I've wondered how their relationship will develop as she leaves home and little siblings behind.

Beth Hedengren said...

I love this! What a wonderful man, to want to sing those strengthening hymns to children at bedtime. What a lovely memory for you and your children. Thanks for sharing!