Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Just Like My Mother

So, I have this weird thing I do.  

Yes, I know.  I have lots of weird things I do.  But I am going to tell you about another one that you probably didn't know.  

I have this drawer full of fabric scraps from my sewing projects.  I love my fabric scraps.  They are so pretty and they remind me of things I made and that makes me happy.  But what do you DO with them?  The little ones that are too small to be used for other projects, but too big to throw away?


Well, here is what I do with them.  I collect them all in this drawer and then sometimes I have these days where I feel like doing something sewing related but I don't really want to get into some project.  You know, I want to play with fabric but I don't have the mental energy to create.  So when that happens I take out a few scraps of fabric and I cut them into squares for use in future quilts.  Whatever size they are, I cut into the biggest squares I can.  Everything from an inch and a half up to six inches.  And then I put them into bags with other squares of the same size.  


I find this soothing.  Yes, that's weird, I know.  

But not that weird.  Recently, I got this email from my mother.  She wrote,  

I am in the middle of a project that I think you will understand.  I am truly obsessed with it.  I am taking all my smaller pieces of  leftover fabric (smaller than fat eighths)  and cutting them up into squares and/or sorting them by size.  I had a tub full of them and I work on a little bit a day and am almost to the bottom of the tub and I can't stop doing it.  I guess it is better than eating chocolate chip cookies.  The quilt top I just finished is made entirely of scraps and leftovers.  I am calling it "Each tiny crumb is a friend."  Now I have to put together a back, pin the whole thing together and machine-quilt it.  I will text  you a picture.  It is bigger than I thought it was.  Funny thing is, I have some beautiful new fabric that I seem to be reluctant to cut into.  Maybe I'll get around to it some day.


YES, MOM!!!!  I understand!!!!  I completely understand because I am JUST LIKE YOU!!!!!  And I am SO GLAD because you are the BESTEST EVER and I LOVE YOU TO LITTLE BITTY FABRIC BITS!!!!!  

1 comment:

Emily Schultz said...

This makes me insanely happy. :D