Saturday, April 2, 2016

A Quilt Finished

Two years ago, just before the twins made their presence known in my hormonal levels, I started a quilt.  I bought pretty fabric, picked out a pattern, and began sewing blocks.

Then, the twins.  No sewing for a long time.

But when I was finally able to get back to my machine for a few minutes here and there (in an effort to recover my sanity!) I got back to working on that quilt. All the pieces were cut out and all I had to do was put them together.  Sewing one quilt block only takes a few minutes and it's very stress-relieving.  From what I've heard, quilting was the pioneer version of Prozac.  With quilts, it's not really about getting it done.  It's about the process, the journey. 

But if you keep at it, here a couple of blocks, there a couple of blocks, one day you look down and you have a quilt. 



I made this one twin-sized, and Roo was outgrowing her beloved "dress blankie," so I gave it to her.  She loves it!  I have spent so much time working with this fabric line that I'm sick of looking at it, so I'm glad she likes it so much. 



I learned something interesting making this quilt.  I needed some backing fabric, and I was hoping to get some that matched the fabric on top.  The fabric collection, "Chance of Flowers," by Moda, was two years old.  So I knew the full line wouldn't be on quilt shop shelves anymore, but I knew that remnants of it might still be found here and there.  I wondered if anyone even had it on clearance!

Searching the internet, I found pieces of the line available still in several quilt shops around the country, but they all still had it at full price.  So I tried ebay.  Guess what?  You can buy quilt fabric on ebay!  At discount prices!  Several sites had cuts of "Chance of Flowers" fabric for as much as half off, though none of those at 50% off had enough yardage for the 5 yards I needed.  I found what I wanted for about 30% off, which I was happy with.  If you don't know, quality quilting cotton like what you get at quilt shops has kind of a set price point and you pretty much plan on paying that.  They don't put it on sale unless they are putting it on clearance. 

But if you know what specific fabric you are looking for and it's from a reputable manufacturer like Moda then ebay is where to go! 

1 comment:

Bethany C. said...

That quilt is absolutely gorgeous! My mom was a talented quilter, but that is one quality I most definitely did not inherit! Fantastic job, Birrd. Roo looks very pleased!