Sunday, April 3, 2016

A Message in the Music

I really enjoyed General Conference this weekend.  As our church leaders spoke to us, the Spirit was there in abundance.  I felt it down to my very core of my soul.  I love how the Spirit takes whatever's being said and turns it into whatever we personally need to know. 

Many things were said this weekend that struck me, but for some reason this weekend the music was more powerful to me than usual.   When the choir sang it was a huge spiritual battery recharge for me, and the Spirit taught me as I listened. 

One song they sang was "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go."  I have heard that song sung my whole life and at times it has meant something extra to me, like when we were in the middle of a move and I was feeling apprehensive or sad about it.  But this time, I thought about the song in the context of my role as a mother.  

The line "Perhaps today there are loving words which Jesus would have me speak" hit me powerfully as I thought about my own children and how they need my loving words.  God was speaking right to me through that song right then, reminding me that my children need my loving words. 

I pondered that, and then they sang "There's surely somewhere a lowly place in Earth's harvest fields so wide, where I may labor through life's short day for Jesus the crucified..."  Instead of thinking of "place" as "Kansas" or another geographic location like I always have before, I thought of "place" as "my home."   As I thought of my lowly, obscure little home, I felt profoundly grateful for my own little place with my own tasks before me that I can do every day to give love and glory and help to my Savior whom I love so much. 

I am grateful that right now the Lord wants me to be a mother,  here in my home, and I hope and pray that I can do better and better at it.  There's nothing else I would rather be or do. 

1 comment:

Bethany C. said...

*contented sigh* Wonderful thoughts. I enjoyed the music at conference too. Thanks for sharing.