Sunday, February 21, 2016

Valentine's Day

Last week was Valentine's Day.  It's not my favorite holiday, but kids think it's fun, and I love to make things fun for my kids when I can.  This year, however, my brain is nearly always completely maxed out.  Just ask my kids: Mom is always saying "All circuits are busy.  Please try your call again later." when they try to talk to me. 

I would love to have a Valentine's party where we make Valentines for loved ones, as well as a special Valentine's meal.  I would love to do something to make each child feel special and loved.  But not this year.  All circuits are busy.  Please try again next year. 

The one thing I did was this: when I was at Aldi a few days before they had heart-shaped pasta and I bought some.  So for dinner that night I cooked the heart-shaped pasta and made a creamy sauce to go with it.  That's it.  Hardly different than a normal meal at our house, except for the color and shape of the noodles, and yet the kids were SO excited about this "special meal."  Roo put on a tablecloth and set the table all nice. 



After church, when I was heading off to take a nap, Roo asked if she could get out the construction paper and make some Valentines.  I said "okay, but try not to make a huge mess," and then I went to sleep.  When I woke up, I discovered this on my bedroom door:


It says, "welcome to the room of hearts."  Then inside my bedroom, there were hearts taped all over the walls. 



So I think the kids had a happy Valentine's Day, despite the fact, or maybe because of the fact, that I didn't do anything much for them. 

No comments: