Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Tuesday

Yesterday was an ordinary homeschool Tuesday that says much about my life lately.  Here are some of the things that went on. 

Fish has been having chronic stomach pain for over a month.  We have had him in to see a doctor, as well as trying various natural remedies.   So far we have not yet hit on a solution, though some things help.   This has been extremely frustrating for many reasons, not the least of which is that he mostly doesn't feel well enough to do things.  He has done very little school work.  He hasn't been able to go on runs with me anymore,  and he was so excited about training for a 5k along with me.  I feel so bad for him having to deal with all this pain all the time.  Today we discovered that he usually feels well enough to read aloud and he did a lot of reading to Roo and Rabbit. 

What did he read?  Well, I recently discovered that Roo has never read the Narnia series.  This despite the fact that we own two versions of the books (plus one in Swedish) and at least two different audio versions.   We are solid Narnia fans, and Bean and Fish know the stories inside and out.  I just assumed the younger kids would enter Narnia automatically.   Well, somehow Roo never did.  So I assigned her to read them last week and she was having a hard time getting into them on her own.  When one of my kids is having a hard time getting into a book I want them to read I just read the first few chapters aloud and that usually gets them hooked.  After that they finish on their own very quickly.  But I was too busy to read aloud, so I handed the book to Fish.   That was a good choice.  That kid has such a great reading voice and he does British accents very well.  I loved hearing how he read the Cockney cab driver in The Magician's Nephew.   Absolutely delightful.  

Meanwhile,  Peanut has been reaching new pinnacles of naughtiness.  She and Frog are very disruptive during school time, and when they go upstairs to play I breathe a sigh of relief.  All is quiet and I am teaching and after awhile I realize that all is way too quiet.  I always lock my bedroom before I come downstairs in the morning,  but now she can pick the lock.  So on this particular day she climbed up and got ahold of a little decorative jar full of sand from the Oregon Coast that I got on my first trip there in 1998.  A very sentimental little decoration, considering what the Oregon Coast means to our family.  Well, she washed all that sand down the drain of my bathroom sink. 

Then she cut Frog's hair to shreds.  Oh, it looks awful!  I am just so grateful that she left her own alone this time.  At least we can easily give Frog a buzz. 

She really seems to love to cut hair.  Perhaps she will go to beauty school.  

I must must MUST find a way to spend more time with Peanut.  I must.  She wants to learn to read, but I have started the 100 lessons book with her and it's clear her brain isn't ready.  She cannot remember her letter sounds yet.  It is actually a huge blessing to me that she is a late bloomer and not yet ready for academics, since I don't have much time to work with her.  I want her to spend lots of time in constructive play, and be read aloud to a lot.  That is what we did with Bean.  So that's the goal: the reality is that much of her play is rather destructive and I have dropped off on Five in a Row, even though I know it's the best thing ever.    I am making an effort to read aloud to her more, checking out picture books from the library and then cuddling up in my big chair with Peanut and Frog and a stack of books.  I love those moments and I am trying to make them happen more often. 

I took Bean to the Y for swim practice and while he was swimming I had a great workout.  I ran/walked 2 miles on the track and I felt great.  I am still only running probably about half of that (run a lap, walk a lap,) but running is getting easier and easier.  I feel less and less like I am running uphill through peanut butter.  I am actually starting to enjoy it.  I definitely enjoy the high I get afterwards. After the track I used the strength circuit machines for awhile.   I love those things; they really work well for me.  I love the feeling that I am getting stronger and healthier.   

All in all, it was a good day. 

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I know there are 1,000,000 different reasons why stomachs can hurt. May I give two suggestions that helped us?

Almost two years ago, my then 13-year old was always complaining of a hurting stomach and she was miserable. After some mis-diagnoses and guesses, we tested her for gluten intolerance (a simple blood test). We went on to figure out it was celiac disease, which required more testing to determine the severity of the gluten intolerance. Although it was disheartening to know that food would be severely limited, it was nice to pin down the problem. Maybe you could try eliminating all gluten to test to see if that helps?

Suggestion two: my littlest one, about 4 months ago, started throwing up a lot and complaining of a miserable stomachache and spent a lot of time in the bathroom. We assumed it was a food allergy (at least we hoped it wasn't anything more serious). We tested a bunch of food elimination options and discovered he has lactose intolerance.

Neither problem is fun to deal with, but knowing what was wrong was certainly encouraging. They are both so much happier and healthier now. Just two thoughts of a direction to go since we were fairly clueless at what do to initially.

I hope you find answers quickly!

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

Oh my.

I should be full of sympathy, but mostly I am full of relief to read about another mother with days like mine.

Birrd said...

Kerri, thanks for the info. The doctor recently mentioned looking into gluten and dairy issues, and honestly, it's a little overwhelming. I'm glad you shared your experience.