Saturday, February 20, 2016

A Healthy Treat

Don't get me wrong, I do still like to try to eat healthy.  Since I've been limiting my sugar intake, I do put a little more effort into treats that I can eat.  I've got a favorite right now that I thought I would share with you. 

I call them Date Balls.  As in, the fruit, not the social excursion.  But you can call them whatever you want. 

1 cup pecans (or almonds)
1 heaping cup oats
2 cups pitted dates
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/4 cup or so of water
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (these do have some sugar, so you can leave them out if you feel the need)

Put the nuts, oatmeal, fruit, cocoa powder, and vanilla in the food processor and process it thoroughly.  Then add enough water so that the mixture will come together into balls (the amount will depend on what variety of date you use; medjool dates will probably need less water than deglet noors.)  Then add the chocolate chips and pulse until they are mixed in.  Call your kids in and have them help you squish this lovely glop into balls.  Then eat and enjoy!




No comments: