Sunday, January 3, 2016

Welcome 2016!

I am excited for 2016.  I like even-numbered years. 

I love the chance we have in January to look back on the past year and look forward to the next year.  I love recommitting myself and making plans to help me do better, be better. 

At the beginning of 2015 there was a lot of uncertainty in my life but I was looking forward to some healing and renewal after the difficult pregnancy with twins.  There was some healing and renewal last year, but it came very slowly as caring for said twins kept me in survival mode much of the year.  I am grateful for the progress made, but there is still a ways to go and I hope that 2016 will bring me more physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual strength and balance. 

I lost 40 pounds last year and I am really happy about that.  (Actually, I lost 45 but gained 5 back during the holidays, but I planned on that happening...)  This year I only have to lose 15 or 20, but then I have to keep it off.  This won't be a problem if I can get back into regular exercise.  And that's a major priority for me right now, because there are several people in this household who desperately need regular exercise and we need to make a plan for all of us.  I am still determined to be able to do a 5K sometime... this spring, hopefully. 

I did pretty good moderating my sugar intake for much of last year.  Sometimes the addictive tendencies would flare up and I would have to go off it completely, but often I was able to enjoy some treats once or twice a week without going overboard.   In December I went back into full addict mode, especially the week between Christmas and New Year's.  Oh, the yummy things I ate!  Oh, the appalling quantities of yummy things I ate!  I always do this, and I let myself do this.  I know I am good about getting back on the wagon in January. 

It is hard getting back on the wagon though.  The first day of denying yourself is the hardest.  For this, I am grateful for the law of the fast that we Mormons observe.  Today was "quit sugar cold turkey" day (usually I do that on January 1st but my sisters were here visiting for New Year's so I gave it two more days.)  It was also Fast Sunday.  We are supposed to fast for two meals as an exercise of faith, but those with health considerations (such as women who are pregnant or nursing) can modify that as they see fit.  Several friends of mine are going through some very challenging things in their lives and one of my friends asked if we as friends could all fast and pray today for these people who are so burdened.  It was just the motivation I needed.  I decided to abstain from both sugar and dairy products today.  That didn't sound very hard and it didn't sound like very much, but wow, it was really hard.  I did it though, and I am so grateful for the chance to break out of the addictive cycles I've been in.  Tomorrow will be easier.  I will eat dairy again, but I'm going to stay off sugar completely for awhile. 

It will be easier knowing I am so close to my goals.  I am almost to my goal size, and that means I will have the fun of acquiring a new wardrobe of comfortable clothes that I feel good and look good in.  I have that to look forward to this spring. 


No comments: