Sunday, October 25, 2015

Our First Autumn Poetry Reading

Oh, how I love autumn!  As fast as my life is rushing by, I have been trying to make sure we savor my favorite season.  One of the things I wanted to do was have an autumn poetry reading.  The idea was we would all sit outside on a blanket under an autumn tree, eat an autumn-y snack and taking turns reading poems about autumn out loud.  Doesn't that sound delightful?

I had so much fun compiling our autumn poems.  It took longer than I thought it would, but it was so enjoyable.  I put them all in a Word document and printed everyone a copy.  It was about 9 pages long, and it included poetry from a wide range of age levels, so we could take turns reading aloud. 

The autumn tree just right for sitting under turns out to be in our very own backyard.  It's an ash tree.  I didn't know much about ash trees, but now I know that they are glorious in the autumn.


I especially like the way they carpet the ground with a mixture of leaf textures and colors, from crispy deep-red to a soft, pale yellow.  


We had the perfect setting, the perfect poems, and the perfect weather.  A bag of cheese-and-caramel popcorn from Costco became the perfect snack.  And my kids are the perfect people.  So it was perfect.  I look forward to this being a yearly tradition.  Here are some pictures.




Leaf likes crispy leaves.


I am trying to be real, so I am including this picture Fish took of me. 


And this one too.


So, here is a picture I took of Fish.


I lay down to look up into the golden leaves overhead and that turned me into a baby jungle gym.


We noticed something: way up at the top of our tree is a large nest of some sort.  Can you see it?


Leaf loves autumn!


And I think Twig likes poetry.



Well, it put her to sleep, anyway. 


Sweet little Twig hands.


Long live our autumn poetry reading!

1 comment:

Bethany C. said...

Ahhhh! Sounds heavenly!