Saturday, September 5, 2015

September is Here!

Oh, I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the -ber months!

On September 1st, I went grocery shopping at Aldi (love Aldi to smithereens!)  I bought a case of canned pumpkin and a gallon of apple cider, among other things.  As we drove around town, we were listening to Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder, which I haven't listened to in awhile.  I knew I loved it, but I had forgotten how much.  I love the part where they're all sitting around the fire on a winter evening with popcorn and apple cider.  So, I decided that's how we would start our September.  With a popcorn/cider/read-aloud family evening. 

These are not easy to pull off at my house... with so many little ones the idea of relaxing in the evening with a book and a bowl of popcorn is rather far-fetched.  But somehow we made this one work.  And I got this great picture of Frog excited by the popcorn popper.   Magic things, popcorn poppers.


Our read-aloud right now is I, Juan de Pareja.  It's about the black slave of the famous painter Diego Velazquez, set in Spain in the 1600's.  It goes along nicely with Chapter One of Volume 3 of Story of the World.  I have high hopes to read many of the corresponding literature suggestions with our history curriculum this year.  Likely we will only achieve a fraction of my grand plans, but if we aim high and only get partway we will end up further along than if we didn't try. 

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

Wishing you a satisfying autumn!!! :)