Thursday, August 13, 2015

Pie Bandits

I have to tell you a story about those peach pies I made that I mentioned in my last post.   We ate one that Saturday night.  Our fridge was jam-packed, so I put the other pie in the little fridge upstairs in our bedroom.   I figured it would make a great treat for Family Home Evening on Monday night.  

That Monday afternoon Bean went upstairs for something and pretty soon I hear "Mom!"  As I was hurrying up the stairs I figured Peanut and Frog were at it again... those two are absolutely unbelievable when they are together... what did they destroy this time?   When Bean motioned me into my room I suddenly knew: the pie.  I prepared myself for the worst. 

The fridge had little white smears of whipped cream on it, the kind made by tiny fingers.  When I opened the fridge, I saw a pie with a chunk of whipped cream missing and a plastic Schleich princess in a green dress standing next to the pie.  I also saw that they had been using Mr. Potato Head's ear as a spoon.  

I couldn't help it.  I burst out laughing.   I laughed so hard that I had to lie down on the floor and beat my fists on the carpet.  The sudden inclination to laugh surprised me as much as it surprised Bean.  He has seen me get mad at Peanut and Frog's escapades a few times.   So he expected me to get upset.  I am not sure why I didn't: maybe because it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (the pie was far from ruined), maybe it was the plastic princess standing over the pie in her regal green dress, or maybe, just maybe I am getting a little better at handling things with the kids. 

Kids are an incredible course in self-improvement.   They will stretch you in ways you didn't even know you could stretch.  For example, I did not think I had a problem with anger before I had kids... I was seldom angry, and when I was I was usually pretty calm about it.  I wasn't much of one to yell or fly off the handle.  Heh heh.  Now I have the temptation to yell or fly off the handle almost every minute of every day.  I cave in to that temptation more than I would like.  However, what my kids don't usually see and what I hope someday they will understand, is that there are lots of small, private victories: times where I could have yelled but that I chose to speak softly or to laugh instead.   And even though I am far from where I want to be, I am gradually improving. 

I personally think the self-improvement course you get from having children is the best thing that can happen to a person.  I hope to come out of it much improved.  

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

Mr. Potato Head's ears as spoons? That's hilarious!!!!