Sunday, July 5, 2015

A Goal

You know how sometimes someone says something in church that really hits you?  A few months ago someone in church was talking about personal prayer and scripture study and how he found it most effective when he did it in the morning.  So, he said, he made it a goal that the first words he would speak every morning would be words of prayer and the first words he would read every morning would be the scriptures.  

I just loved that.  Yes, I said to myself, that is what I want to do!  It's so brilliant because if you get into that habit of putting those things absolutely first then you know they will happen every day like they should and you will have the blessing of starting your day with God every single morning.  What a powerful force in your life! 

So that's what I have been trying to do.  So far, I am not doing so well.  It is harder than it seems.  One problem is the pesky little notification icon on my phone... "okay, scriptures.... Oooh!  I have new messages!  I will just take a look really quick..." 

The pull of technology is incredibly strong.  I see this in myself and in my children.  I want both me and them to have self-discipline stronger than the pull of electronics.  In fact, I think this is vital for my children's success in life.  I worry about this a lot.  I feel like I grew up along with technology and while I know I have technology addiction issues,  I try to channel them into productive, creative, helpful channels (like my blog!)  I feel like although I struggle with this,  I at least have a fighting chance.  I really feel like this idea of starting every day with the Lord will make a big difference.   And maybe if I set a good example my children will follow. 

No comments: