Sunday, June 21, 2015

Saturday Morning

Here is a slice of recent life at our house. Last Saturday, we needed to deep clean the girls' room again. I brought the camera along for some reason.   So here are some of the little everyday details that are not particularly newsworthy now, but that we will like to remember years hence.  

Roo dressed Leaf and was excited to put cute little blue jeans on her.  They were adorable and she looked so grown-up.  Too bad we only have one pair of blue jeans in this size. 


Here is my little man in his new boat pajamas.  He loves them.   He is very particular about things, including his clothes, and he gets excited about certain pictures on his clothes.  He loves his airplane shirt and his doggy shirt and his doggy jammies and his elephant shoes, so I figured he would dig these boat jammies and he totally does. 


Here comes Peanut.  My kids are allergic to Kansas mosquitoes, which are extremely bad this year, especially in my overgrown backyard.  So last week four of my kids, including these two, looked like they had the plague.



I loved this shot of little ones just playing.  Having so many small ones at once has been a real challenge for me-- my older kids were spaced just a little bit further apart, so I have never dealt with four in the four-and-under category before.  And it's tough for me.  But I keep thinking of how my father-in-law once told me that the days when he had a whole flock of tiny ones was "the most magical time."  So I try to see the magic.  Sometimes I succeed.


Twin bouncy seats... in the week since this picture was taken they have outgrown bouncy seats, so this was just about their Last Bouncy Seat Hurrah. 



Roo is growing.  She is still a little girl and she still loves dolls, but she can also organize a bookshelf!  Nine is a wonderful age. 



A rare picture of me... without my glasses even!  I wanted a picture of just me and the glasses were causing a lot of glare.  Photographer Bean and I were trying to get a decent shot when this little cutie came along and wanted to be a part of the photo shoot.  How could I resist?  I remember a couple of years ago I made a conscious effort to take a photo of me with each of my children individually.  I need to do that again.  I am almost always the one behind the camera, but to them I am the center of all that goes on around here.  Someday when they are all grown up I will want them to have more pictures to remember, even if I don't always love the way I look.


Then he started messing with the light switch-- ha!  Toddlers!


Life is hard... we all have challenges, big and small, public and private.  And we never know what the future holds.  I have been making a conscious effort to savor the sweet, innocent moments that happen in a household full of young children.  They are what I want to remember years from now. 

4 comments:

Melissa said...

The stage with lots of little ones really is magical! We've had several little groups- our oldest three were born in two years. I also have really enjoyed my middle group of boys- four boys in four years. The baby/toddler/preschool years were crazy, but now those boys range from 4.5 to just turned 9 and I really do miss the sweet, crazy, busy, beautiful time when they were all so small. Aside from Paxton, my second youngest is now three! I really do miss having lots of little ones.... Though I can certainly see the divine purpose in heavenly Father's timing because Pax needs so much more than a typical baby. Anyway, I'm rambling, but I think you're exactly right when you say you need to enjoy this crazy time. <3

Birrd said...

Melissa, you are way better at enjoying the crazy time than I am... I have been trying to be more like you for years!

Melissa said...

That's funny because I've been trying to be like YOU for years!! Thanks for your good example! :)

Bethany C. said...

These pictures are precious. Very wise to make sure you get photos of yourself-- You and your children will really appreciate that in the future. You look wonderful!