Thursday, May 7, 2015

Gearing Up For Summer

May is beautiful in Kansas.  Everything is green and lush and the temperature is usually pleasant.  

The summer heat will be here before we know it.  And I am having a hard time getting excited about summer this year. 

Now that I am back on my feet after all those difficult months, now that I am backing running my own home and cooking for my family,  I am wishing it was autumn.  Isn't that funny? 

I kind of missed the holidays this last year.  I did very few holiday activities and no holiday cooking or baking.  I didn't even attend Thanksgiving dinner.  Now I am craving that turning inward that happens in the fall, the gathering around the hearth on the dark, chilly evenings.  I find myself wanting to bake with pumpkin and cranberries.   And decorate a Christmas tree.   I want the months back that I missed.   But they are gone, and I know that I gave them to the best of causes: two sweet, beautiful baby girls that I don't know how I ever lived without.  No question of whether or not it was worth it.

So I am trying to reboot my brain to gear up for summer.  It may not be my favorite season, but it does have much to enjoy.  Fireflies.   Barbeques.   Summer reading at the library.   Popsicles.  Watermelon. 

Help me out here.  What do you love about summer? 

4 comments:

Melanie said...

It has been fun to read about your family as it has grown and moved across the country this last several months.

Pumpkin pie and turkey dinner can be enjoyed anytime of year. I'm sure your family wouldn't be too offended to enjoy Christmas treats in July:)

Glad you are doing so well and enjoying those little babies. Best wishes.

Melissa said...

This is why I'm looking forward to summer actually, because I completely missed it last year! I'm looking forward to fall and winter after that because I missed those too, but summer is what I'm most excited about. There's so much family time in the summer- park days, picnics, field trips, time outside, long daylight hours, late nights, fresh fruit, holidays and birthdays.

Klari said...

I love my birthday :)

Since I don't homeschool full time (only part time), I love my kids being home. Since for the last couple of years, I've had kids on both traditional and year round schedules, those three weeks in July when no one has school have become especially precious. (Thank goodness this is changing next year!)

I love the opportunity to travel, especially as a family.

And, this past year, I love central air conditioning!

Bethany C. said...

Autumn has always been my favorite season as well. But here's some things I love about summer:
Swimming. I made a friend in my health class last semester who has agreed to give my oldest kids swimming lessons in exchange for me doing her laundry!
Porch swings, hammocks and open windows. When I lived in Indiana,my favorite thing to do in the summer was to wake up early with a notebook and pencil and sit on the porch swing out back to write poetry.
Trying new recipes is fun, too. I think eating fresh fruits and veggies is easier in the Summer because it seems more appealing in the sticky heat.
Enjoy the fireflies! I really miss those out here in the west.