Monday, April 20, 2015

Monday Night

If I don't start just writing random things about my day I am never going to write.  I keep planning insightful blog posts by theme but I just don't have time to write them.  But when I'm nursing I can get on my phone and just blab about my life.  I need to do that more often. 

The older kids are downstairs playing "Dutch Blitz," an awesome card game I picked up at a recent homeschool convention.   It is really fun and we all love it.  It was our activity for family home evening tonight. 

Family home evening actually went really well tonight.  No one was crazy and out-of-control and none of the kids fought.  It was weird.  Normally I am constantly telling people to stop leaping off the furniture and to leave each other alone.  So tonight was refreshing.  

Bean made cookies by himself today: peanut butter Nutella swirl cookies from the Six Sisters Stuff cookbook (my kids LOVE that book and pour over it often.)  He did a pretty decent job and they turned out great after the first sheet,which he overbaked.  Lately Bean likes to find recipes that interest him and make them.  Probably because he is always hungry.   The other night he made biscuits and they were pretty good.  I love to have him cooking.  I just have to train him to clean up after himself.  

I love cooking and it's so fun to teach the kids those skills.  My oldest three are all ready to learn to do a lot in the kitchen and I look forward to that.  Meals for a large family are much easier to put on when you have help. 

We like to eat dinner together in our formal dining room and the kids are learning to set the table.  Family meals are something that for years I have not been doing the way I really want to and that's one of the changes I am going to be working on during this next era of my life.  I love the ritual of all sitting down together at a pre-set table, having a prayer, then dishing up and eating.  The kids like it too and with their help we can do that more often instead of our usual mealtime free-for-all. 

I love this house!   It's been so fun getting settled bit by bit.  I still have a long ways to go but the inside is coming together.   Then I am going to need to get fired up about the yard because it needs some work.  At the moment I don't have a lot of motivation on that front but I am sure it will come.  Gardening is in my blood. 

I did mow some of the lawn today.  I actually love mowing the lawn.  And I love it that I can do it... six months ago I could barely walk to the bathroom.   Go me!

The twins roll over readily from back to front now.  They are so smiley and happy and fun and someone around here is usually cooing over them at any given moment.  Fish, with his creativity and way with words, keeps coming up with cute nicknames for them.  My favorite is "noodle fingers."  Babies' fingers are like little noodles, aren't they?  When we put the twins together we have twenty little noodles to play with. So fun!  Fish also calls the twins the little juicy sausages, which I think is cute. 

More and more it is hard to tell the twins apart.  More and more we get them mixed up, at least momentarily.   Leaf still has more hair, but Twig's is growing fast.  The Badger thinks we should order the DNA test and find out if they're identical.   I would love to but there are a lot of other things I want to spend $100 on right now and I figure time will tell. 

We've had some lovely Kansas thunderstorms lately.  I have really enjoyed them.   It's good to be back. 

No comments: