Sunday, April 12, 2015

Full Speed Ahead

I am busier than I have ever been in my life.  I hit the ground running every morning and honestly I kind of amaze myself at the way I multitask homeschooling, caring for little ones, and unpacking and organizing my home.  I am a bit behind the curve homeschool-wise and the unpacking and organizing is going much slower than I would like, but as long as I keep focusing on what I did get done and not what I still have to do I am pretty pleased.  

I love my new house.  I love it so much!  It is just right for me and my family. 

It is so nice to be all here together in our own home.  I am glad I have the kids with me all day every day.  Some of them have been somewhat traumatized by the events of the last several months (Peanut in particular) and it is healing for us all to be here together getting into new routines and spending time together.  

Here are some pictures I took during the move:


Prince Charming loaded up and ready to go: he was clinging to his coat and feeling a little insecure.



Rig #1 driven by the Badger


Rig #2 driven mostly by me with some help from my father-in-law



I wanted to get a picture of everyone by this sign, but we were all so hammered right then.  At least I got a couple of the kids.


Staying in hotels with little kids is... exciting. 


Back in Braum's territory!  Yay!


Happy Roo


We are glad to have our piano back!  The Rabbit was so glad she had to play it upside down.   



The first week we were here I had to sort through all our clothes again to get everyone's summer clothes out and make sure everything was organized.  It took hours.  This picture was taken after I had already worked on it for two solid days.  But when I finally got it all done it was worth it.  

Backing up a bit to the picture of Rig #2, I wanted to say something about the drive out here.  In the past, I really have not liked driving the van pulling the trailer.  I am constantly worried about the trailer.  This was especially true on the move to Utah last fall when the trailer was overloaded.  I didn't even have to drive at all on that move, but I spent the entire drive sitting in the passenger's seat watching the trailer in the side mirrors and worrying.  I wasn't very happy when it developed that I would be driving our van pulling our trailer to Kansas.  The Badger promised he wouldn't overload it this time, and that helped a little bit, but I was still stressin' about it.  

Remember that quote I put on here?  About the difference between an ordeal and an adventure being your attitude?  Well, I decided to really take that to heart in this case.  I realized I was making pulling the trailer into this huge ordeal and that was unnecessary.  People pull trailers all the time.  It's not a big deal.  I kept telling myself it was an adventure, and the kids and I pretended we were like Bilbo Baggins setting off on his journey with the dwarves.  If something crazy happened like the trailer falling apart or getting stolen overnight at the hotel it would just make for an even better story, right?  Well, it actually worked really well.  I stopped having anxiety about the trailer.  By the time we got to Kansas I had the trailer thing down (and nothing bad happened).  I am not afraid of pulling the trailer anymore.  You drive differently with it on, sure, but it's not that big of a deal.  I am hoping that I can transfer this same attitude over to the giant van we eventually have to get that I have struggled with anxiety about driving.  It will just be another big adventure, right?  

This has been quite the adventure.  We have been really blessed.  I have seen the hand of the Lord guiding us along.  Things really fell into place and I know we are where we are supposed to be and that's a really good feeling.  

2 comments:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

I can only say that I am so impressed with your ability to turn the ordeal into an adventure!!!!

Bethany C. said...

Being in the right place is a wonderful feeling! I love how you changed your attitude and enjoyed an adventure. I'm going to try this myself. Maybe even with the same scenario -- We're in the market for a new van as well!