Friday, February 27, 2015

Memorable Meals

Some of our favorite homeschool memories over the years have been the times when we have made special meals as a part of our curriculum.  These have usually come from our Story of the World history curriculum.  I love Story of the World and it is full of all kinds of awesome enrichment projects which we rarely do because I am just not as on the ball as I should be.  But sometimes we do the meals, and I am always glad when we do.  They get talked about for years afterwards.  Back in Oklahoma we did a barbarian feast where we ate with our hands and had bread for plates.  The kids can't stop talking about it.  

Recently we did a couple more special meals.  The first one was a Japanese meal.  I didn't get any pictures of it, but it was a big hit.  The kids loved eating with chopsicks, and they happily gobbled up the tofu chunks I put in the soup.  The sticky rice, teriyaki beef, and green beans in sesame dressing were enjoyed by all.  

The next one we did was a Moorish dinner after reading our chapter on the Moors in Spain during the middle ages.  For this one, we all wore turbans and we ate at a low table sitting on the floor.  I tried to make the food sort of Mediterranean (the chicken and rice was pretty generic, but I served dates and grapes and olives) but the real hit with this one was sitting on pillows on the floor and wearing the turbans.  


This is the kind of thing that really makes learning come alive, and I need to remember that.  I hope in the future we will do more of these kinds of special things with our curricula.  Especially when they involve food!  

No comments: