Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Six Weeks

I had my six-week postpartum check up yesterday, which is a big milestone.  My body is back to normal.  Physically,  I really do feel good other than not getting enough sleep at times.   It's amazing to contrast where I am at right now versus a few short weeks ago.   This has been a good recovery for me.  I feel like in terms of my physical health I totally have my feet back under me. The only thing now limiting my ability to care for my family the way I would like to is the incredible amount of time the twins take, so that my life still revolves around feeding them round the clock and trying to catch up on sleep round the clock.  

The twins are doing well though.  They are both now in the 8 lb range, which is wonderful after those stressful weeks when I was so worried and obsessed over every ounce of weight gain. 

I am still giving them a little bit of supplement most nights at bedtime, but for the most part I am meeting their nutritional needs.  My milk supply still isn't quite where I would like it to be but it's close and it's heading in the right direction.   I think the fenugreek and other stuff has helped a lot. 

The babies settle down every night by 11 pm and sleep until 3 or 4.  After that, I still never know how things are going to go and how much sleep they are going to let me get.  But I am grateful for that big chunk of sleep and I am hopeful that we can develop a good routine very soon.

They are not colicky, thank goodness, and for the most part they are sweet, easy-going infants.  I attribute this in part to taking them to the chiropractor when they were a week old, which is something I would highly recommend.   If you can find a chiropractor that does the upper cervical technique it is more gentle. 

But there are TWO of them and that still blows my mind.  Sometimes it is mind-blowingly overwhelming,  but more and more often now it is mind-blowingly wonderful.   They are each so unique and beautiful.  I can't wait to see how their personalities develop.  I think there are a lot of good times ahead.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

It feels so strange to comment on such personal subjects when I don't know you personally, but I'm going to do it anyway! I am so happy that you have made such a quick physical recovery after birthing twins and are so upbeat and positive about the future. I have five of my own babies, ages 9 to 1 year, and find it so challenging to have a newborn--let alone twins! You give me so much hope and encouragement that we can possibly have another child or a few and that I will live through it! We homeschool, too, and I am SO impressed that you even have school on the radar right now when you're caring for newborn twins. You are amazing! I hope this new year is a wonderful one for you and your family. I really do enjoy your blog and your style of writing and your candidness. You have also inspired me to keep blogging, even though it's gone so out-of-style. It's a wonderful way to journal!