Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Full Term

Yesterday was my original due date and today the twins are three weeks old.  (Okay, technically one is three weeks old today and one is three weeks old tomorrow...)

Most of my other babies were born more or less on their due dates, so three weeks early was definitely different for me.  I didn't think it was going to matter so much since 37 weeks is considered "term."  However, during those first few days when I was a nearly hysterical from having two babies that wouldn't eat or sleep well,  I had a conversation with my sister in law Aunt Lovely and she said something that really intrigued me.   Most of her babies were born by scheduled c-section at 39 weeks and she said she noticed a difference in them about a week later when they reached "full term:" they ate and slept better. 

So I began hoping that at three weeks old we would see an improvement with the twins (I also hoped fervently that I would survive until then...)  And I am happy to report that not only am I still alive, but that my sweet babies are getting easier to manage.  They are now behaving like my other newborns and I am beginning to get some sleep! 

However, we still have one big concern: their weight.  I realized last week that they were looking kind of scrawny and at their two week checkup last Thursday their weight was way down: one of them was down nearly a whole pound. 

I have been worried and obsessing about my milk supply.  I spent all weekend trying to both fatten them up and increase my supply.  We went in yesterday and they had both gained some but we are not out of the woods yet.  I have seen some evidence of supply increase, but not as much as I would like.  

So things are getting easier in some ways, but the twins are still taking most of my time and attention.   I am so grateful for the support I have which has allowed me to focus on them.  And I enjoy having such cute, sweet little people to monopolize my time!

2 comments:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

My last one seemed to be nursing just fine, and I had plenty of milk, but he didn't gain. It was a puzzle. Finally--under threat of daily weight checks at the doc's office and murmurings of failure to thrive--I really watched him nurse. He was a super-lazy nurser; he'd suck gently and fall asleep often. I spent several days watching him as he nursed--tickling his cheek, keeping his feet uncovered, stroking his feet, anything to keep him awake and eating well--and he began to gain. He caught on . . . reaching 30 lbs by his first birthday!

Could the same apply to your little one who isn't gaining?

Bethany C. said...

So glad to hear each update. I think it's miraculous that your body (and theirs) can function so beautifully. Keep up the good work!