Saturday, September 27, 2014

Rainy Saturday

It's cool and rainy in Utah today.  I love days like these.  I have always loved the sound and smell of rain in general, but there is nothing more beautiful than a rainy autumn day in the Utah mountains.   The colors of the mountains themselves are a deep gray-- almost dark blue-- from being wet.  The hint of fall color on their flanks seems to glow.  And I love the way wisps of clouds cling to them here and there lower down, looking strange and mystical.   

As I write this, I remember when I moved to Utah when I was fifteen, in June of 1994.  I was very unhappy, despite the fact that I had always loved my vacations here, and the hot, dry summer seemed to go on for a very long time.  The first days when I remember really loving Utah were the rainy autumn days just like this one.  I hadn't been in Utah during the autumn since I could remember.  The beauty of the rain-soaked mountains spoke deeply to my soul and I felt like maybe I was going to be okay here after all, eventually.   It still took awhile, but I was. 

That's what happened today.  I had to go to the store this morning and as I drove I had some really beautiful views of the mountains.   I felt so grateful to be able to experience another autumn along the Wasatch front.  Something inside me felt fed, and I felt more alive.  I remembered how much I love this place, despite how crazy the pace of life has gotten here.  And I felt that maybe I was going to be okay here after all, eventually.   It still may take awhile, but I know that I will be. 

1 comment:

Bethany C. said...

I love your description of Utah Autumn days. I feel the same way about them!