Saturday, August 30, 2014

Playlist

My kids watched a lot more movies than usual this summer.  I typically try to really limit their screen time, but when I am pregnant and exhausted movies are often the solution.  

We don't have a TV, so we just put our DVDs on the computer.  (I got rid of our TV in 2007 and the only time I miss it is during the Olympics.)  

My kids tend to like to watch the same movies over and over again.  It occurred to me the other day what an odd assortment of movies we have in our repertoire.  I think it is pretty atypical for American youngsters in the 21st century, so I thought I would record it for posterity or something.  

One of the favorite movies this summer, especially with the Rabbit and Peanut, was Harvey, an old black and white Jimmy Stewart flick about a man who has an invisible rabbit for a friend.  It's a great film, even though it moves pretty slowly.  I have to say that I feel a little proud that in this age of glitzy, flashy, colorful kid movies my 6- and 3-year-olds kept wanting to watch Harvey.  

Here are some other films my children have been watching a lot lately here at the Birrd's Nest:

The Shop Around the Corner (another great black and white Jimmy Stewart... Fish loves this one)
The Slipper and the Rose (Live action musical production of Cinderella)
Chariots of Fire (this was Fish's favorite movie when he was a really little kid and it's still popular)
Anne of Green Gables and the first sequel (I am a purist and a huge fan of the books.  I like the first movie a lot but the sequel bugged me at first because it is not as faithful to the books.  But the Badger liked it and kept watching it, and I have come to appreciate it as a conglomeration of events from several of the books.  However, the third movie in the series does not appear to follow the books at all, and I refuse to have anything to do with it.)  
Little Women (the version from the 1990s with Winona Ryder etc.)
The King and I
The Secret of Roan Inish (this is a fantastic film though it is also slow-moving, but it is VERY popular around here.  It might just be the Badger's most favorite movie and all the kids love it too.)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Music Man
Fly Away Home
Soul Surfer (the true story of surfer Bethany Hamilton, who got her arm bit off by a shark.  It's very inspirational but I think watching it over and over has given my little girls a slightly warped perception of both sharks and amputees... hopefully no permanent damage done.) 
Second Chances (a really cute movie about an injured girl and an injured horse... Peanut's favorite)
Mary Poppins (the Rabbit bought this with her own money and all the kids love to sing the songs)
The Gnome Mobile (has the same two kids in it that are in Mary Poppins.  Kind of a silly movie, but fun for the kids.)
The Pirates of Penzance

We're not really huge on animated movies, not that I necessarily think they're bad, but we just don't like many of them enough to own them.  I think all we have is Winnie the Pooh, The Jungle Book, and Finding Nemo.  Prince Charming loves Winnie the Pooh.  He also loves Milo and Otis,which has long been a stand-by around here.  

I have read all these articles about how very small children should watch little or no TV and I tend to agree with them.   Over the summer, Prince Charming has come to LOVE movies.  This bothers me a bit, despite how cute it is when he gets excited about a movie.  But we live in an imperfect world, and this summer has been such a struggle.  At least he has mostly been watching Milo and Otis and not so many of the things a lot of toddlers are watching.  

Now that school is back in session and I am feeling somewhat more functional, our screen time will be cut way back.  The Rabbit is having some difficultly being weaned from the TV addiction.  She comes home from school begging to watch a movie every day.  I've been telling her that unless there are extenuating circumstances we will only be watching movies on weekends now.  I am glad my kids will be exhibiting fewer zombie symptoms, but I am also glad that their memories of this summer will include lots of movies which for the most part are uplifting classics.  

1 comment:

Simplymom said...

Our movie list is almost completely different. We have Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but none of your others (although I do remember loving The Gnome Mobile as a child.) Stephen LOVES animated movies, so we have lots of those and lots of animal movies. We only hook up the TV for General Conference and the Olympics, but for conference we've even started just using the computer instead of fighting the rabbit ears.