Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Harvesting

We're enjoying the yummy things coming out of our garden right now.  We've been getting peas (just enough to snack on raw), lettuce (tons!), green onions, and baby kale (never successfully grown kale before, so this is exciting!).  We are starting to get zucchini.  We have lots of green tomatoes, so we're looking forward to that.

And then, my potato plants...  they haven't even flowered yet, but two of them just shriveled up and died.  As this was happening I kept thinking "I should do some research and find out what's going on so I can stop them before they are totally dead" but I didn't and so then they were totally dead.  And so we went out and dug them up to see if there was anything there.  Lo and behold, we had potatoes!  Decent-sized ones!  I have to say, digging up potatoes is the funnest garden chore ever.  It's like a treasure hunt.  It's hard to say who is more excited: me or the kids.  Here's Peanut showing off a potato prize:



No comments: