Wednesday, August 13, 2014

22 Weeks

I had a long conversation at church a few weeks back with a woman who had twins a few years ago.  At one point during the conversation she put her hand on my knee, leaned in close, and said in a dark and serious tone, "are you prepared for how big your belly is going to get?" 

How can I be prepared for that?  How can anyone be prepared for that?

I have never had a huge belly, even at 9 months pregnant.  So while I know I won't get as big as some women, obviously I am going to get bigger than anything I have experienced before.   I am sure it's going to be very interesting.   I already feel like I am almost as big now as I was full term with Peanut (who was by far my smallest baby.) 

I switched to maternity clothes more than a month ago, way sooner than I normally do.  People who see me around town definitely can tell that I'm pregnant.  

I am very very grateful that I have an ample maternity wardrobe.  It has been such a blessing.  This is thanks to a kind reader of this blog who mailed me two huge boxes of maternity clothes during my last pregnancy.   Laney, I don't know if you are still reading my blog, but I want to thank you again.  Those clothes were and are a lifesaver. 

I am not big enough yet to be terribly uncomfortable, so I am grateful for that,  as long as it lasts.  However, I still get nauseated often and I am frequently exhausted to the point of incapacitation.  I spend at least half of every day lying down.  At this point I don't expect things are going to get much better.  This is just going to be hard, and it may get a lot harder.  

But medically, so far everything is fine and that is a blessing I do not take for granted.  I am very grateful to be able to carry these babies.  I know a lot of people would love to be in my shoes and would gladly take on my challenges if they could only have this blessing.  So I am trying to take my challenges on gladly too.  Some days I do better than others.  On those not-so-good days I just tell myself "you're more than halfway." 

1 comment:

Laney said...

Glad the clothes are being put to good use :) Children are amazing and I'm excited that you get to have twins. I always thought that would be fun (except when my babies were teething, then I significantly preferred only having one at a time).