Friday, July 11, 2014

Just Stuff

I don't use the blogger app on my phone as much as I thought I would.   Maybe it's because every time I switch over to another app I lose everything I wrote unless I save it first, which I forget to do if I am answering a text or something else that needs an immediate response.   Or maybe it's because my fat fingers always hit the wrong keys on this little keypad,  so I am constantly having to back up and retype.  Or maybe it's because I have so little brainpower lately.  Even my blog, which has been my main creative outlet for years, seems too much mental effort lately. 
But, dear blog, I still do love you.  Yes I do.  And I will persevere.  
This summer has been weird.  Remember last summer?  We were living in that tiny duplex so I signed the kids up for absolutely everything under the sun and we went to every community event just to get out of the house.   I had enough energy and we had a lot of fun in the not-too-hot weather.  This summer I haven't even taken them to the splash pad or park once.  And for the first time in ten years we did not enroll in the library summer reading program (practically a cardinal sin for me).  We never go anywhere unless we have to (ie we committed to it before I was pregnant), or unless the Badger wants to, which usually means a trip to the mountains on one of his rare days off.  
But when I think about it, we have done some stuff.  The girls had a dance recital (I wrote a huge post about it and lost it and haven't had it in me to write it all again yet), the boys went to a rodeo (gotta love cowboy country!) and Roo and Rabbit went to an awesome day camp.  (We are not doing as many camps this year as we did last year, but we are doing a few.  Bean has a science camp next week.)  Oh yeah, and we did the big community-wide vacation bible school again, which was great.  That's a bigger list than I thought now that I write it all down. 
If there's nothing else going on they are still happy.  They play outside for hours.  I am such a huge believer in unstructured outdoor play for children.  We've had some ups and downs with various neighborhood friends which I won't go into, but right now the girls all love to play with the very nice girl next door and Fish has a nice friend one street over that he has been spending a lot of time with.  So that at least is going well, even if I get a little stressed trying to make sure the babies don't escape into the front yard when the boys leave the door ajar in their haste to get to their bikes. 
After seeing some posts on Pinterest, I bought a set of popsicle molds.  I remember having some as a kid and I would freeze juice or kool-aid in them and the results were so hard and icy... I didn't have any desire to buy any molds for my kids before now.  But there were some really yummy-looking recipes on Pinterest, so I bought a set.  It's been fun.  Yogurt makes a big difference in softness with fruit popsicles.   And then today I tried a recipe for Nutella popsicles.   2 cups whipped cream (recipe called for cool whip but I don't like cool whip so I whipped my own cream), 1 cup milk, and 1/3 cup or so of Nutella.   Mix, pour, freeze.   Wow.  The texture just like "real" ice cream bars and they were delicious.   I could have eaten the whole batch, but I only have six molds so the little kids have to share as it is.   I need to buy more molds, except the one thing I don't love about this homemade popsicle business is washing the molds afterwards. 
I guess the summer is about half over.  Wow.  I think the kids are having a happy summer despite my not feeling well most of the time (and truthfully, sometimes being a bit grumpy as a result.)  I hope they look back on this time with fond memories of all the time they spent using their imaginations. 

No comments: