Friday, March 28, 2014

The Secret to Perfect Lemon Bars


Lemon bars are one of the first things I mastered when I was learning to cook years ago.  However, I very quickly stopped making them-- and I almost never make them anymore.  The reason is that I can and I WILL just stand there and eat the entire pan.  

I am typing this with sticky fingers and frequent breaks to go back for more.  I broke down today and decided to make them for the first time in years.  My friend brought some over the other night when she came to dinner and it got me thinking about them and there were these lemons in my fridge and....

My lemon bars are perfect.  Crispy-flaky on the bottom and tangy sweet on top.  It's my sister Pineapple's excellent recipe, but the recipe isn't critical.  The secret to perfect lemon bars is this: real butter and fresh squeezed lemon juice.  That's all there is to it.

Ah, this battle I have with sugar is one I fight Every Single Day.  At the beginning of the year I was very motivated about cutting carbs and when I did, I started losing weight at a rapid (though not an unhealthily rapid) pace.  It was amazing.  I have lost 10 lbs this year overall.  However, ever since my girls' birthdays and birthday parties I have been yo-yoing.  

After all, I have such a talent with carbs.  My homemade bread just keeps getting better and better (post soon!) and my homemade tortillas are to die for.  Cookies, cakes, cinnamon rolls, brownies, frostings, lemon bars...  I am just brilliant with anything carb.  

If I wasn't trying to shed pounds I would be fine.  I have this challenge with addictive binge eating, but I am also getting better and better at healthy eating and exercise and the two seem to balance each other out to the point that I can maintain my weight.  I don't have to deny myself the opportunity to taste the fruits of my talents forever.  That's encouraging news for the day when I finally do meet my goal.  

And I WILL meet that goal.  Yes, I will.  After this pan of lemon bars is gone.  

No comments: