Wednesday, March 19, 2014

St. Patrick's Day

For several years now I have been watching the evolution of St. Patrick's Day with mixed feelings.  Like the writer of an article currently circulating on facebook, I remember it as a day when you wore green.  End of story.  And also like the writer of said article, I think that expectations for holidays might be getting a little out of hand.  However, a part of me thinks some of these new St. Patrick's Day traditions are really neat and way more fun that just wearing green.  I have been watching some friends-- my friend Melissa comes to mind-- do some really fun things for several years now and I have thought "maybe we could do fun leprechaun stuff too."  But we never did.. until the kids went to public school.  

Roo came home about a week before St. P's day with an assignment to build a leprechaun trap and bring it to school.  At first I was a little annoyed-- craft projects are not my forte, and with everything we've got going on around here when we were going to find the time?  Why was this necessary?  But once we got going, it was fun.  It turned out really cute and then it was really fun to take it to school and see what all the other kids had built.  The whole thing was festive and exciting.  



The tall box idea was not a new one, but putting the tissue paper "grass' on top to hide the trap door was pretty clever, we thought.  Alas, she did not catch a leprechaun, but the bait (green taffy) was gone and she is sure that she *almost* did.  

The Rabbit's Kindergarten class built a trap as a group at school.  Then the morning of the 17th when they came to school they found that their classroom had been messed up by a mischievous leprechaun.  Things were strewn all over the floor: markers and books and carpet squares.  The kids were delighted (and happy to pitch in and clean it all up!)  So it was a fun day for them, and then the Rabbit came home wearing these leprechaun ears she had made, which I thought were adorable.  





I was happy that they could do fun stuff at school, because the 17th was a regular crazy Monday at our house.  The Badger was gone on a flight (to Minnesota, actually!) and so I was left to handle all the afternoon activities alone.  We got through after school folk dance, ballet, and delivering birthday party invitations and then had about 45 minutes to make dinner and feed everyone before we needed to get Bean to his Civil Air Patrol meeting.  So I made macaroni and cheese from a box, which at our house is a rare treat reserved for crazy days like this.  It was Annie's White Cheddar, so I added some green food coloring and we ate green mac and cheese.  It was a party, I'm telling you.  

I am rather enchanted by the idea of glitter and little footprints and gold coins and presents and things... it sounds like fun.  I just wouldn't want it to get to the point where the kids had really high expectations.  

No comments: