Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Looking Back

So, Roo's birthday is coming up and I am remembering this time eight years ago: I was a few days overdue and a bit of an emotional wreck about it.  I knew she had to come eventually, but it was so hard to wait.





She was so very worth the wait.




Anyway, it got me thinking... actually there are quite a few pivotal events in my life that have happened right around the end of January/beginning of February.  So, let's just take a little trip back through time, shall we?

Just a year ago, the Badger had just gotten this new job and we needed to sell our little Oklahoma farm and move several states away.  With six kids, including a new baby.  It was a very intense and emotional time, but there were also so many amazing and beautiful things that happened.






Six years ago we had just barely arrived in Kansas with our moving truck after a white-knuckle drive across the snow-covered western United States.  I was nearly nine months pregnant.  I still get all tense just thinking about it.  But again, it was also an amazing time full of very sweet memories, as well as the hair-raising ones.



Thirteen years ago the Badger had just got a job in Boise, Idaho... our first job out of school.  We were packing up and leaving our family and heading out on an adventure with no idea what lay ahead, other than the fact that we were expecting our first child and I felt like throwing up most of the time.




Fifteen years ago, right around this time, the Badger and I met.  At an activity for LDS singles.  I thought this handsome pilot would never be interested in bookish, nerdy me.  He thought I was playing hard-to-get.  But whenever we saw each other we just couldn't stop talking.  We still can't stop talking to each other.






Going back even further, seventeen years ago at this time I was frantically filling out college applications while trying to be an absolutely top-notch high school senior and getting very little sleep in the process.  I was terrified of the decision I was about to make about where to go to college because I knew that it would set the course for the rest of my life and that was way too huge to contemplate.  I did a lot of praying and I waited until the very last minute to decide.  As soon as I settled on BYU everything fell into place quickly and smoothly.



(Please don't laugh.  It was the 90's, you know.)





And I couldn't have imagined a better road to take.  I am not rich, I am not famous, but life has been wonderful.  There have been ups and downs, but I am grateful for the way I've grown and for the direction I am headed.

2 comments:

Frances Robbins said...

LOVED reading this post!! It gives me some perspective too, something I am really needing right now. Thanks Sarah!

PS-- With Nate graduating in April, he's starting to look for his first "real" job/internship. We'd love it be closer to you guys! :)

Melissa said...

Awe, I loved reading this!! So beautiful to see the passing of time and know how blessed we are!

Melissa :)